Its time to wrap up the course, we have 3 more classes to go:
- KM technologies
- How to: Knowledge versus Information problem
- Stephan Dennings story telling presentation
- Lot of ground covered here including going back over the content management best practices compilation of papers that started last week. Al used the article on "how to correct myopia in your organization" to work out a template of problem solving using excel. It appeard intitutive.
- The topic of best practices in other areas such as Web self service Best Practices,Communities of practice were also discussed.
- Discussion also focussed on the differences between Project management and Knowledge management. project management is managing THINGS such as tasks, work breakdown schedules, timelines etc. The question is how do you use Knowledge Management to manage projects. More on that next week
- Al in his effort in trying to give an example of "Knowledge versus Information" Problem asked the class if they have ever met a "Jerk", if so what makes him a jerk?. one person said, her boss was one, when asked why, the answer was that he micro managed the her work. This lead to a series of question and answers that boiled down to three things:
- What you know, What you know, you don't know and What you don't know, you dont know.
- The class endeded with a great slide presentation. Al had managed to pick up Stephan Denning's preso on Storey Telling to share with the class. Lots of good stuff in there including the style of presentation that used very sparse content on each slide, but told a powerful storey. I always compare presentations to Larry Lessigs, and this one got a 7 on a scale of 10. But more importantly is the topic of storey telling with the approach of starting out with a jarring incident to catch the attention, planting the seed with a good story and finally appealing to the reasoning part of the senses to drive home the point. Enjoyed it.